With 2014 coming to a close, I figured I should share some exciting news and professional development highlights from the last few months.
- In June, the UCSD medical students recognized my teaching efforts with the 2013-2014 Outstanding Teacher Award.
- In November, I interviewed for an academic faculty position at University of Washington and gave a visiting lecturer Grand Rounds on “The Promise of Stem Cells in Oculofacial Surgery.” Seattle is an amazing city, and UW is notable for having a terrific and collegial department and division of oculoplastics!
- In December, I officially became a Board Certified Ophthalmologist by the American Board of Ophthalmology after passing my written and oral board exams!
MEETINGS–I had the opportunity to attend the following meetings and have already applied tips and learning from these meetings in the care of my patients with successful results.
Masters of Aesthetics, San Diego
- Fantastic inaugural meeting featuring some of the stars of cosmetic dermatology and plastic surgery. Great content on cosmetic injectables (toxins, fillers, liposuction/lipotransfer) and energy devices (lasers, radiofrequency, cryolipolysis)
American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery and American Academy of Ophthalmology, Chicago
- Presented on the use of Intralesional Bleomycin Injections for Orbital Lymphangiomas (ASOPRS)
- Posters on Managing Extensive Facial Cutaneous Malignancies in Xeroderma Pigmentosa, and Lateral Orbital Rim Decompression for Thyroid Eye Disease (ASOPRS)
- Displayed my first senior author poster on Poor Follow-up and Knowledge Retention Despite Glaucoma Counseling in South India (AAO)
- Co-taught the AAO skills transfer course on Oculoplastics Anatomy and Surgical Techniques
- Participated in the AAO skills transfer course on Face and Neck Lifting (which included performing a full face and neck lift on a cadaveric head)
Cedars-Sinai Multi-Specialty Aesthetic Meeting, Beverly Hills-Los Angeles
- The best talks for me were by Dr. Val Lambrose on the aging face and periorbital fillers for tear troughs and hollow upper lids/brow fat pads
Comprehensive Advanced Restorative Effort Conference, Navy Hospital San Diego
- Picked up some new pearls on laser scar resurfacing from Dr. Jill Waibel
- Learned about future game-changing technologies for skin and tissue copying from Dr. Rox Anderson
AOCMF Principles of Operative Treatment of Craniomaxillofacial Trauma and Reconstruction, San Diego
- Fantastic meeting covering didactics and hands-on plating of orbital, ZMC, mid-face, maxillary, and mandibular fractures
That is the question of the hour! I’m looking forward to entering the 4th quarter of my oculoplastics fellowship and the end of my 15th year of higher education/training. Stay tuned for my post-fellowship plans, which are actively in the works…